17 January 2009

"You can just look"

It's been almost two months since my last visit to plot no 1 and now I'm beginning to feel better I was itching to get down there to see if there was anything worth picking. I was under firm instructions not to do anything too strenuous and I promised to just look around, pick anything that needed picking and be back in half an hour. And to be honest whilst it was good to get off the sofa I probably wasn't up to much more than a casual stroll around.

There wasn't a lot going on. My leeks are still crap - I picked 4 'baby leeks', the rest not being worth picking and one of those was no good on closer inspection. I also picked the Brussels that weren't too far 'blown' or had been eaten after my net defences had been breached (they'd blown down in the wind!). These were combined at home with some of the remaining potatoes to make Bubble and Squeak, which was very tasty.

What looks like Purple Sprouting Broccoli is coming along well and should hopefully get some off it in a few weeks all being well. Although I could really do with a gardening knife before that so I can cut it!

The rhubarb is beginning to sprout as well. I was hoping to force one of the crowns this year. At what point do you cover it up though? Hopefully not too late, but I've not got anything to put over it yet.

As ever, my half an hour was stretched as Matt came round for a chat. We discussed all our best laid plans for the coming year, trips to the pub, etc. whilst Ziggy (Matt's dog) trampled over what was attempting to grow - mainly the overwintering onions, which I've since decided are growing in completely the wrong place anyway. I may have to try and move them?

Too much time on my hand?
Sitting around on the sofa a lot I came across Earthboxes. I like the idea of these and they seem to have good reviews from people who have used them. I'm hoping they'll help with the 'erratic' watering my tomatoes suffered from. However, at £35+ each they are too much for my budget, so I set about making one. I have or have ordered the stuff I need and reckon I can make the equivalent for about a fiver - some of the stuff I already have in and some of the stuff I have ordered is primarily to be used for something else anyway.

The plan (currently) is to make the prototype then if all goes well build a few more to have 3 in the greenhouse on plot no 2 and a few more split between plot no 1 and home. I'm waiting for some chicken wire (which is primarily going to be used to protect my strawberries - and if this doesn't work I'm giving up on them) to arrive which will allow me to finish it off, so watch this space for some photos and whether they work or not.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Fortunately feel a lot better, not going to be running anywhere for a while but I can cope with that! I get to go back to work towards the end of next week, which is a good thing... I think. Well at least I get to leave the sofa!

2 comments:

Aidan said...

They say you should start forcing rhubarb in January

I covered a patch of rhubarb at the weekend with some old bins that blew in to my patch.

Susan said...

I have just recently had to move my overwintering onions as we have moved to a new site. They seem to have survived the move and 2 weeks later they look ok. I also moved some of my broccoli despite being told not to 'too big, won't survive' and it is looking good too. Hope you feel a lot better soon by the way.